Thursday, March 02, 2006

XML Schema




This is dorkorama extreme, but having just spent a few hours working at some new code, I have to say that XML Schema is just the greatest thing ever. It lets me use the freedom and flexibility of XML in my applications without having to worry about checking for valid input all over the map. When I read files in they either match or they don't --- and if they do I can make a lot of assumptions everywhere else I work with them.

I get really ticked off at Microsoft because they're constantly creating new technology that we don't really need --- yet another way to access databases, yet another new UI framework, blah blah blah. Mostly this just creates a constant spin cycle for app developers who get excited about new features, but don't deliver measurably better code. Schema is one of those very few new technologies that can really make a difference.

Disclaimer: I've been picking on Microsoft for years, pretty much since leaving ten years ago. Now I work there again. The difference? My complaints are slightly better informed. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home