Sunday, February 19, 2006

Real Vermont Maple Syrup




I grew up in the Northeast and the only syrup we ever had on the table was real maple syrup. Every spring when the trees would begin to run my family would take a ritual car trip up to one of the farms where we could see the syrup boiling in the big pans and get our annual supply.

One year in elementary school we tapped the big maples in front of the school. School was just a few blocks walk for me, so I had the job of checking the trees over the weekend. After very little action for a couple of weeks, the weather turned and I had to find every jug and bottle in the house and spent the whole weekend running back and forth replacing them. After all that I think we made a gallon of syrup at best, but boy did the classroom smell great for the week that we were boiling it down on a hotplate in the corner.

Anyways, it never occurred to me that people would actually eat that fake crap that you get at the supermarket. If that's what you use on your pancakes and waffles, please give the real stuff at try. It is pricier, but totally worth it unless you really are stuck.

We got a family gift of a homemade "brunch kit" over Christmas --- real syrup, pancake batter mix, and Canadian slab bacon (we had to supply the eggs). It was a great idea and a gift we really enjoyed. Yum!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home